Essential Women’s Leadership Academy
The Essential Women’s Leadership Academy is a new, 12-month leadership training designed to build a community of confident and empowered women executives who lead essential hospitals in addressing the challenges of our nation’s most vulnerable populations.
Gender disparities in hospital executive leadership have changed little over the past few decades. Women make up 74 percent of health care service managers and 48 percent of medical school graduates, but representation decreases as we move higher up the organization ladder. Just 19 percent of hospital CEOs are women and only 4 percent of health care companies are run by women. The Essential Women’s Leadership Academy will strengthen the elements found to be critical for successful female leaders, with the ultimate goal of decreasing the gender gap in executive-level positions at essential hospitals.
Many hospitals are in the midst of a culture transformation that puts patient engagement and community health front and center. Hospital leaders must have passion and courage to spearhead this change. The Academy will help boost women’s confidence and improve their leadership competencies so they have the tools and support necessary to elevate their careers and transform their organizational culture.
The Academy will focus on four critical elements found to significantly influence career advancement for women:
- Mentorship: Mentees (candidates) and their mentors (other essential hospital leaders) will work collaboratively and via coaching to develop the mentees’ career path. This work will include monthly check-in calls and an in-person shadowing day at the mentor’s organization.
- Assessments and coaching: The Academy will assess mentees’ leadership strengths and weaknesses and provide career path consultations with a professional coach.
- Women’s support groups and networking: The program will help build a nationwide network of women essential hospital leaders who share the same mission and challenges.
- Leadership training programs and fellowship: Each mentee will undergo 24.5 hours of leadership training and skill-building designed to accelerate performance. The program curriculum will be delivered through three didactic webinars, two interactive in-person meetings with leading experts in the field (leadership experts and women leaders at essential hospitals) who will serve as faculty, and a post-conference at VITAL2018. Specifics on the in-person meetings are as follows:
- In Washington D.C. during the Week of March 19, 2018: 1 day;
- In Washington D.C. during the Week of May 1, 2018: 2.5 days; and
- In San Francisco, CA at VITAL2018 June 21-22, 2019.
Applications for 2018 are now closed.
Mentee tuition is $9,500, which includes the in-person learning sessions, access to leading health care experts and member CEOs, coaching, curriculum materials, and some meals. Each mentee’s sponsoring organization is responsible for travel and lodging expenses. Mentees will also be eligible for a discount for VITAL2018. America’s Essential Hospitals covers mentors’ costs.
Questions or Comments? contact Ashli Eastwood at email@example.com.
Please see the Essential Women’s Leadership Academy one-page general information flyer.
INFORMATION FOR MENTEES
Mentee applications will open on October 16, 2017. Applicants must have a letter of recommendation from the CEO/sponsor. A strong recommendation describes in detail the candidate’s leadership potential.
INFORMATION FOR MENTORS
INFORMATION FOR CEOs/SPONSORS
Please see our CEO/sponsor information page for requirements.