America’s Essential Hospitals and Premier have partnered to help essential hospitals plan for and succeed in value-based care and payment models.
The Essential Hospitals Value-Based Care Collaborative (Essential Hospitals VBCC) helps association members manage financial risk for Medicaid, uninsured, and underinsured populations and integrate their work on social determinants of health with value-based care. The collaborative also supports your employee health, Medicare fee-for-service, Medicare Advantage, and commercial populations.
Key objectives of the Essential Hospitals VBCC:
- Support hospital and health system transition to value-based care and value-based payment (VBP) models for Medicaid, uninsured, and underinsured populations and other payers
- Provide strategic recommendations based on Premier’s assessment tools for these vulnerable populations and the hospital’s unique and evolving environment
- Act as an incubator for novel ideas and leading practice development
- Accelerate the spread and use of strategies to reduce costs and improve the outcomes of vulnerable patients
- Serve as a forum to exchange best practices for sustaining a return on investment in new VBP models
- Operationalize best practices for positively influencing social determinants of health
- Develop a strategy for measuring, benchmarking, and trending Medicaid, uninsured, and underinsured population performance (based on the availability of Medicaid and other relevant data)*
Two for One: Access to Premier’s PHMC Included
The Essential Hospitals VBCC is a partnership with Premier’s market-leading Population Health Management Collaborative (PHMC), which has a winning track record across payer-agnostic accountable care models and provides well-developed methodologies and tools, a rigorous infrastructure, benchmarking, and a robust network for learning and knowledge sharing.
This partnership gives Essential Hospitals VBCC participants a rich environment for innovation to advance capabilities and accelerate results. Participating members of the Essential Hospitals VBCC may take advantage of all the Premier PHMC offers today, with the bonus of focused support for Medicaid, uninsured, and underinsured populations.
A Track Record of Success
The Premier PHMC, now in its eighth year, works with more than 70 organizations from Hawaii to Maine. Premier’s experienced team has performed more than 200 Population Health Management Readiness assessments – more than any other U.S. entity – to give PHMC members insights and information they need to strategize, plan for, and succeed in changing payment and delivery models. Collaborative members perform better than the nation by 57 percent in achieving shared savings, and they outperformed their peers in meeting meaningful use requirements, fall prevention, and pneumonia vaccinations. The Premier team has achieved 100 percent success helping more than 70 Medicare Shared Savings Program (MSSP), Pioneer accountable care organizations (ACOs), and Next Generation ACO model participants apply for and successfully contract with the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS).
Core or Advanced: The Choice Is Yours
The Essential Hospitals VBCC framework offers two tiers for participating hospitals to assess and deploy value-based care, connect with peers to share strategies, and access content experts for guidance on the breadth of population health topics.
The Core tier services educate participants on pertinent value-based care and payment topics, evaluate their existing capabilities through a comprehensive annual assessment, and offer strategic recommendations for accelerating the member’s ability to assume risk for a population, improve the quality of their care, and lower the overall cost of care.
Building upon the Core tier offerings, the Advanced tier provides a focused forum for sharing best practices and networking, along with data analysis and benchmarking tools aligned with either of two population health management models: CMS’ Medicare Shared Savings Program or commercial/employee arrangements (other models currently being explored include Medicaid). With focused, subject-matter expertise support through the Dedicated Partner program, the Advanced tier is designed for organizations actively managing the health of a population today and moving away from fee-for-service and toward a value-driven business model and shared savings arrangements.
Rich Resources for All Participating Members
Through participation in the Essential Hospitals VBCC Core tier, members can access these deliverables and resources to build the foundation of a successful ACO/population health model:
- One-on-one support: onsite capabilities assessments and strategic recommendations (once annually)
- Participation in a cohort for education and best practices focused on Medicaid, uninsured and underinsured populations. Other available cohorts include Medicare ACO application, Employee Population Health, Quality Payment Program/MACRA, and CPC+ (Comprehensive Primary Care).
- Learning exchanges and peer networking opportunities, including a member-driven innovation library, online community, population health management educational offerings, and in-person meetings and events
- Access to more than 60 dedicated subject matter experts by phone and email
- Insights, scale, and innovation opportunities, including a focused analytics development strategy for Medicaid performance
* Advanced tier only
Download this flier about our new collaborative with Premier:
Ready to learn more?
Submit this form and we’ll follow up to answer your questions and connect you with our partners at Premier.