The Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) has created the SHARE Approach – a five-step process for patient-centered shared decision making:
- Step 1: Seek your patient’s participation.
- Step 2: Help your patient explore and compare treatment options.
- Step 3: Assess your patient’s values and preferences.
- Step 4: Reach a decision with your patient.
- Step 5: Evaluate your patient’s decision.
AHRQ, which is part of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, also offers an online shared decision making toolkit, including accredited webinars and in-person workshops, to help health care professionals work with patients to explore and compare the benefits, harms, and risks of each health care option.