Two members of America’s Essential Hospitals were among the five commissioners reappointed to the Medicare Payment Advisory Commission (MedPAC) by the U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO). GAO also appointed one new commissioner and named Francis “Jay” Crosson, MD, chair of the panel. Crosson currently serves on the National Advisory Council of the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) after spending 35 years as a physician and physician executive at Kaiser Permanente.
The six commissioners will serve three-year terms, expiring April 2018:
- David Nerenz, PhD, director of the Center for Health Policy and Health Services Research at Henry Ford Health System (essential hospital)
- Rita Redberg, MD, professor of clinical medicine, University of California at San Francisco Medical Center (essential hospital)
- Alice Coombs, MD, critical care specialist and anesthesiologist, South Shore Hospital
- Jack Hoadley, PhD, research professor, Georgetown University’s Health Policy Institute
- Craig Samitt, MD, global provider practice leader, Oliver Wyman’s Health and Life Sciences Practice
- Susan Thompson, RN, CEO and senior vice president of integration and optimization at UnityPoint Health (new appointee)
MedPAC was established to advise Congress on access, cost, and quality of care in the Medicare Program. It has 17 members with expertise in finance and delivery of health care services.
Contact Beth Feldpush, DrPH, senior vice president of policy and advocacy, at email@example.com or 202.585.0111 with questions.