America’s Essential Hospitals describes how provider-supplemented premium assistance for enrollees in the health insurance marketplaces strengthens the marketplaces and furthers the goals of the Affordable Care Act.
- Even with government subsidies, families may be unable to afford marketplace coverage.
- Being uninsured, even intermittently, disrupts care, results in poorer health outcomes, and increases system costs.
- Premium assistance from providers will promote more stable and successful marketplaces that increase access to coverage for low-income individuals.
- Recent federal guidance on marketplace assistance programs has left providers uncertain about their options for offering assistance.
- By working together to identify permissible means of support, providers and the government can
enable better health outcomes for patients and lower costs for our health care system.