The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) updated electronic clinical quality measure (eCQM) specifications for the 2018 performance year.
The annual update aligns specifications with current clinical guidelines and code systems. Updated eCQMs include:
- calendar year (CY) 2018 measures for eligible hospitals (EHs) and critical access hospitals (CAHs); and
- CY 2018 measures for eligible professionals (EPs) and eligible clinicians (ECs).
These fully-specified eCQMs can be used to electronically report 2018 clinical quality measure data for CMS quality reporting programs. Before CMS can require any measures to be electronically reported in 2018, they must be proposed and finalized through notice-and-comment rulemaking for the respective program. These eCQMs can be used in:
- the Hospital Inpatient Quality Reporting (IQR) Program;
- the Medicare Electronic Health Record (EHR) Incentive Program for EHs and CAHs;
- the Medicaid EHR Incentive Program for EPs, EHs, and CAHs; and
- the merit-based incentive payment system (MIPS) for eligible ECs and alternative payment models.
Contact Director of Policy Erin O’Malley at firstname.lastname@example.org or 202.585.0127 with questions.