The Institute for Healthcare Improvement and the National Patient Safety Foundation (NPSF) have announced they will merge May 1.
Under the merger, patient safety teams from both organizations will combine their programs. NPSF programs — including the Lucian Leape Institute and the Certified Professional in Patient Safety credentialing program — will remain.
In addition to the merger, the organizations announced the release of a public health framework, titled Call to Action: Preventable Health Care Harm Is a Public Health Crisis and Patient Safety Requires a Coordinated Public Health Response, to guide patient safety efforts. The document outlines six categories of recommendations:
- define the problem and set national goals;
- coordinate activities across multiple sectors to ensure widespread adoption and evaluation;
- inform, educate, and empower the community;
- effectively measure and monitor progress at all levels;
- identify causes and interventions that work; and
- educate and train.
Contact Director of Policy Erin O’Malley at firstname.lastname@example.org or 202.585.0127 with questions.