The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) last week refreshed data on the Hospital Compare website.
The refresh includes Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality Patient Safety Indicators, now calculated with recalibrated software, as well as:
- data from patient experience surveys, including the Hospital Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (HCAHPS) and star ratings;
- data on health care–associated infections;
- quality reporting data from Prospective Payment System Exempt–Cancer Hospitals;
- American College of Surgeons National Surgical Quality Improvement Program data;
- data from Veterans Administration hospitals; and
- timely and effective care measure data.
Providers will now also be able to access Department of Defense quality data via a link on the Hospital Compare website.
Overall hospital quality star ratings were not refreshed in October. However, these ratings will be updated in December. Starting Nov. 3, CMS will release the December 2017 Overall Hospital Quality Star Rating Hospital-Specific Reports. Hospitals will receive detailed instructions on how to access these reports, available via the QualityNet Secure Portal. CMS encourages hospitals to download and save a copy of the report for future reference.
Contact the Hospital Compare Overall Hospital Rating Team at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions about the Hospital Compare overall star rating.
Contact Director of Policy Erin O’Malley at email@example.com or 202.585.0127 with additional questions.