Lawmakers are making the final sprint toward the 2022 midterm elections, with just two weeks until Election Day. Last week, the America’s Essential Hospitals Federal Action Network (FAN) hosted a 2022 midterm election preview, featuring Bloomberg Government’s Greg Giroux, who provided an overview of the current political climate and explored key House and Senate races.
While most legislative activity is stalled until mid-November, must-do items will keep lawmakers busy in the post-election period — including passing federal appropriations legislation before government funding expires on Dec. 16.
America’s Essential Hospitals staff has been meeting with congressional offices throughout the October recess to highlight our end-of-year priorities, which include to:
- secure targeted funding for essential hospitals;
- educate Congress about the need for essential hospital designation;
- strengthen, expand, diversify, and protect the essential hospital workforce;
- stop unintended cuts to disproportionate share hospital payments by revising Section 203 of the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2021;
- bolster health equity and reduce health disparities;
- support telehealth expansion and utilization, including the Hospital at Home program; and
- ensure and improve access to mental and behavioral health care.
This Week in Congress
The House remains in a district work period through the Veterans Day holiday and is scheduled to return Monday, Nov. 14. The Senate also is expected to return Nov. 14.
Join the Federal Action Network Today!
Stay connected to the latest from Washington. Join our Federal Action Network — free for members — and gain exclusive access to advocacy expertise and updates.