On Thursday, Feb. 23, 2012, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services published the proposed stage 2 meaningful use requirements for the Medicare and Medicaid Electronic Health Record (EHR) Incentive Programs. Key aspects include the following:
- changes to meaningful use stage 1 measures for eligible hospitals
- meaningful use stage 2 core measures for eligible hospitals
- meaningful use stage 2 menu measures for eligible hospitals
- changes to the clinical quality measure reporting requirement
- changes to the EHR incentive program timeline
- Medicare payment reduction process/timeline
- modifications specific to the Medicaid EHR Incentive Program
America’s Essential Hospitals published a detailed summary of the proposed rule.
The final rule specifies the Stage 2 criteria eligible professionals, hospitals, and critical access hospitals must meet in order to qualify for Medicare and/or Medicaid electronic health record incentive payments.
The final rule modifies stage 1 meaningful use criteria for hospitals and eligible professionals.
On Feb. 25, 2010, the association submitted a letter to the Office of the National Coordinator (ONC) for Health Information Technology’s policy committee in response to a request for comments on their preliminary recommendations for stage 2 of the criteria for meaningful use.
This proposed rule modifies stage 1 meaningful use criteria for hospitals and eligible professionals.