The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) will work with a contractor to conduct field testing of eight episode-based cost measures for potential inclusion in the cost performance category of the Quality Payment Program’s Merit-based Incentive Payment System (MIPS).
The proposed cost measures include:
- elective outpatient percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI);
- knee arthroplasty;
- revascularization for lower extremity chronic critical limb ischemia;
- routine cataract removal with intraocular lens implantation;
- screening/surveillance colonoscopy;
- intercranial hemorrhage or cerebral infarction;
- simple pneumonia with hospitalization; and
- ST-Elevation Myocardial Infarction with PCI.
From Oct. 16 to Nov. 15, clinicians can view a confidential report on their performance of such episodes through the CMS Enterprise Portal. Stakeholders will have access to a mock report with supplemental documentation, including a draft cost measure methodology, draft code lists file, and a field testing fact sheet. CMS will seek feedback from stakeholders through an online survey open during the testing period.
CMS also will host two provider calls about field testing the measures on:
- Oct. 30, noon–1:30 pm ET; and
- Nov. 2, 3:30–5 pm ET.
Contact Director of Policy Erin O’Malley at email@example.com or 202.585.0127 with questions.