FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
July 1, 2019
WASHINGTON — New member leaders for America’s Essential Hospitals and its research and education arm, Essential Hospitals Institute, today officially began their roles overseeing the organizations’ work.
“Our board members provide invaluable insights that help bring our advocacy and research work to life,” said Bruce Siegel, MD, MPH, president and CEO of America’s Essential Hospitals. “We look forward to another year of working together to advance equitable, high-quality care for all.”
Wright Lassiter III, president and CEO of Henry Ford Health System, in Detroit, becomes America’s Essential Hospitals’ board chair. He succeeds Joseph Scott, executive vice president of health care transformation at RWJBarnabas Health, in Jersey City, N.J., who becomes past-chair.
Susan Ehrlich, MD, MPP, CEO of Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital and Trauma Center, in San Francisco, becomes the association’s new chair-elect. Eric Dickson, MD, MHCM, president and CEO of UMass Memorial Health Care, in Worcester, Mass., becomes the board’s secretary. Steve Purves, president and CEO of Maricopa Integrated Health System, in Phoenix, was reappointed as the board’s treasurer.
Delvecchio Finley, MPP, CEO of Alameda Health System, in Oakland, Calif., will continue as board chair for the Essential Hospitals Institute.
Susan Moffatt-Bruce, MD, PhD, chief quality and patient safety officer at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, in Columbus, Ohio, continues as past-chair.
The Institute’s chair-elect and secretary is Christine Neuhoff, JD, system vice president and chief legal officer at St. Luke’s Health System in Boise, Idaho. Ericka Brown, MD, MBA, chief operating officer of Harris Health System, in Houston, becomes the Institute’s new treasurer. Siegel continues as recording secretary (ex officio).
New and Continuing Directors
America’s Essential Hospitals’ board welcomes these new at-large member directors:
- Janice Nevin, MD, MPH, president and CEO, Christiana Care Health System, Wilmington, Del.
- Karen Teitelbaum, MA, MM, president and CEO, Sinai Health System, Chicago
These member leaders continue as at-large association board directors:
- Akram Boutros, MD, president and CEO, The MetroHealth System, Cleveland
- David Brenner, MD, vice chancellor for health sciences, UC San Diego Health System, San Diego
- Patrick Cawley, MD, MHM, executive director and CEO, Medical University of South Carolina (MUSC), Charleston, S.C.
- Barry Freedman, president and CEO, Einstein Healthcare Network, Philadelphia
- Carlos Migoya, president and CEO, Jackson Health System, Miami
- Sharon O’Keefe, president, UChicago Medicine, Chicago
- Thomas Quatroche, PhD, president and CEO, Erie County Medical Center, Buffalo, N.Y
- Charlie Shields, president and CEO, Truman Medical Centers, Kansas City, Mo.
- Kevin Spiegel, president and CEO, Erlanger Health System, Chattanooga, Tenn.
- Pamela Sutton-Wallace, MPH, CEO, University of Virginia Health System, Charlottesville, Va.
- LouAnn Woodward, MD, vice chancellor for health affairs and dean, School of Medicine, at The University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson, Miss.
The Essential Hospitals Institute board added these new member directors:
- Rohit Bhalla, MD, MPH, vice president of quality and patient safety, Stamford Hospital, Stamford, Conn.
- Parveen Chand, MHA, chief operating officer, Academic Health Center — Adult Hospitals, Indiana University Health, Indianapolis
- Susan Cooper, MSN, chief integration officer and senior vice president, Regional One Health, Memphis, Tenn.
- Melany Gavulic, RN, MBA, president and CEO, Hurley Medical Center, Flint, Mich.
These member leaders continue as Institute board directors:
- Roy Gilbreath, MD, senior vice president and chief system of care integration officer, Navicent Health, Macon, Ga.
- John Jay Shannon, MD, CEO, Cook County Health, Chicago
The Essential Hospitals Institute also named one new outside, at-large Institute director:
- Melinda Abrams, MS, vice president, director of delivery system reform, The Commonwealth Fund, New York
These leaders continue as outside, at-large Institute directors:
- Stuart Guterman, independent consultant, Silver Spring, Md.
- Erica Murray, MPA, president and CEO, CAPH-California Association of Public Hospitals and Health Systems, Oakland, Calif.
- Dale Shaller, MPA, principal, Shaller Consulting Group, Stillwater, Minn.
- Kevin Weiss, MD, MPH, MHSA, chief sponsoring institution and clinical learning environment officer, Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education, Chicago
# # #
About America’s Essential Hospitals
America’s Essential Hospitals is the leading champion for hospitals and health systems dedicated to high-quality care for all, including the most vulnerable. We support our 300 members with advocacy, policy development, research, and education. Communities depend on essential hospitals to provide specialized, lifesaving services; train the health care workforce; advance public health and health equity; and coordinate care. Essential hospitals innovate and adapt to lead the way to more effective and efficient care. Learn more at essentialhospitals.org.
About Essential Hospitals Institute
Essential Hospitals Institute is the research, education, dissemination, and leadership development arm of America’s Essential Hospitals. The Institute supports the nation’s essential hospitals as they provide high-quality, equitable, and affordable care to their communities. Working with members of America’s Essential Hospitals, we identify promising practices from the field, conduct research, disseminate innovative strategies, and help our members improve their organizational performance. We do all of this with an eye toward improving individual and population health, especially for vulnerable people.