Safety Net Financing and Policy: Beyond the Basics
Nov. 30, Dec. 7, and Dec. 14
2–3:30 pm ET
Safety Net Financing and Policy: Beyond the Basics explores the foundation of policies and practices specific to the finances of hospitals with a safety net mission. In three 90-minute live sessions, this online series examines safety net financing through the lens of legislative, regulatory, and operational forces that shape these hospitals’ work.
- Module 1: Medicaid Policy — Understanding the nuances of federal and state Medicaid policies is essential for safety net hospital finance staff. During this session, attendees will learn about the unique aspects of the federal and state partnership, including program basics and elements of financing the non-federal share of Medicaid. Key topics include the Federal Medical Assistance Percentage (FMAP), disproportionate share hospital (DSH) payments, supplemental payments, directed payments, and provider assessments.
- Module 2: Other Safety Net Payments and Policies — During this session, attendees will gain insight on finance policy topics important to hospitals that fill a safety net role. Key topics include relevant aspects of Medicare, such as cost reports and site-neutral payments; and the 340B Drug Pricing Program, including program history, eligibility, and outlook.
- Module 3: Understanding the Policy Process — During the third and final session of this series, attendees will explore in depth the policymaking process from a federal perspective and use this information to articulate the unique challenges that safety net hospitals face. This session will explore how policies form, how a bill becomes a law, and the congressional committees central to health care lawmaking; and regulatory and subregulatory processes, including timelines, public comment opportunities, and finding and tracking supporting documents and data.
Upon completing this learning series, participants will be able to:
- Articulate the core principles and fundamentals of safety net funding through an extensive review of key federal policies and their impact on safety net hospitals;
- Contribute to the development of strategies to help their hospital or health system meet current and future funding needs; and
- Understand the foundation of policy development, the rationale behind current policies, and how to research and independently track emerging policies.
We will provide a digital binder of pertinent resources.
Refund Policy and Complaint Resolution Policy:
Refunds and Cancellations: Requests for refunds must be received in writing by Nov. 22. No refunds will be granted after Nov. 24. For more information on refund, complaint, and program cancellation policies, please contact our office at 202.585.0100 or email email@example.com.