America’s Essential Hospitals is governed by a board of directors that represents the geographic and organizational diversity of the association’s overall membership. The board, which consists of 15 to 20 members, provides overall strategic direction and oversight for the association.
The directors meet periodically to consider and vote on the key association activities, policy positions, and matters of similar importance. The association’s board also elects the board of directors for Essential Hospitals Institute.
The board’s executive committee—chair, past-chair, chair-elect, secretary, and treasurer—may approve an association action or position when time is of the essence and a meeting of the full board cannot be promptly convened.
Board members, who are elected by a vote of the full membership, serve staggered, two-year terms and may serve up to three consecutive terms.
Board of Directors
Essential Hospitals Institute, our research arm, has its own governing body. View the current Institute board of directors.
Donna Sollenberger, MA
Executive Vice President and CEO, UTMB Health System
The University of Texas Medical Branch
Sharon O’Keefe, MS
University of Chicago Medicine
President and CEO, Jersey City Medical Center
President and CEO
Grady Memorial Hospital
Wright Lassiter III
President, Henry Ford Health System
- Akram Boutros, MD, president and CEO, The MetroHealth System
- Patrick Cawley, MD, MHM, Executive Director and CEO, MUSC Medical University of South Carolina
- Eric Dickson, MD, MHCM, President and CEO, UMASS Memorial Health Care
- Susan Ehrlich, MD, MPP, CEO, Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital
- Howard Federoff, MD, PhD from UC Irvine Medical Center
- Barry Freedman, CEO, Einstein Healthcare Network
- Danielle Laraque-Arena, MD from SUNY Upstate Medical University
- Carlos Migoya, President and CEO, Jackson Health System
- Steve Purves, CEO, Maricopa Integrated Health System
- Sam Ross, MD, CEO, Bon Secours Baltimore Health System
- Charlie Shields, President and CEO, Truman Medical Centers
- Kevin Spiegel, President and CEO, Erlanger Health System
- Pamela Sutton-Wallace, MPH, CEO, University of Virginia Health System
Below find a list of our standing committees, with links to members-only resources and information.