America’s Essential Hospitals is governed by a board of directors that represents the geographic and organizational diversity of the association’s overall membership. The board, which consists of 15 to 20 members, provides overall strategic direction and oversight for the association.
The directors meet periodically to consider and vote on the key association activities, policy positions, and matters of similar importance. The association’s board also elects the board of directors for Essential Hospitals Institute.
The board’s executive committee—chair, past-chair, chair-elect, secretary, and treasurer—may approve an association action or position when time is of the essence and a meeting of the full board cannot be promptly convened.
Board members, who are elected by a vote of the full membership, serve staggered, two-year terms and may serve up to three consecutive terms.
Board of Directors
Essential Hospitals Institute, our research arm, has its own governing body. View the current Institute board of directors.
President and CEO, Jersey City Medical Center
CEO, Maricopa Integrated Health System
Wright Lassiter III
President, Henry Ford Health System
Donna Sollenberger, MA
Executive Vice President and CEO, UTMB Health System
The University of Texas Medical Branch
Susan Ehrlich, MD, MPP
CEO, Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital
- Akram Boutros, MD, president and CEO, The MetroHealth System, Cleveland
- Patrick Cawley, MD, MHM, executive director and CEO, Medical University of South Carolina (MUSC), Charleston, South Carolina
- Eric Dickson, MD, MHCM, president and CEO, UMass Memorial Health Care, Worcester, Massachusetts
- Barry Freedman, president and CEO, Einstein Healthcare Network, Philadelphia
- Danielle Laraque-Arena, MD, president, SUNY Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, New York
- Carlos Migoya, president and CEO, Jackson Health System, Miami
- Sharon O’Keefe, president, UChicago Medicine, Chicago
- Thomas Quatroche, PhD, president and CEO, Erie County Medical Center, Buffalo, New York
- Charlie Shields, president and CEO, Truman Medical Centers, Kansas City, Missouri
- Kevin Spiegel, president and CEO, Erlanger Health System, Chattanooga, Tennessee
- Pamela Sutton-Wallace, MPH, CEO, University of Virginia Health System, Charlottesville, Virginia
- LouAnn Woodward, MD, vice chancellor for health affairs and dean, School of Medicine, The University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson, Mississippi
Below find a list of our standing committees, with links to members-only resources and information.